August 28, 2006
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!
I had loads of fun hunting for a job, but it's gotta end sometime, right? Read the first two parts of this trilogy for a recap. First up, the companies I didn't end up with and why I won't be working for them. BTW, there's a new entry on the list (stag).

Why did I choose HP? Take a look at the five things I wanted in my next job. HP certainly fits the bill for me (or at least it's the best available fit).
I signed up with them last Friday, August 26. My official job title is "ITO Support Specialist 1" simply because every recent grad starts off as that. The kind of work I'll be doing is in software development. I'll be working out of HP's office in Ortigas. I'm still in the process of completing the paperwork but I don't expect any problems with that. My first day of work is this Friday, September 1. I was given the option of starting on the 18th but I didn't want to wait that long. I'm excited about getting down to business and showing them what I've got.
Hello, working world!
I had loads of fun hunting for a job, but it's gotta end sometime, right? Read the first two parts of this trilogy for a recap. First up, the companies I didn't end up with and why I won't be working for them. BTW, there's a new entry on the list (stag).
- BlastAsia - They actually gave me the best offer in terms of base pay. However, I didn't feel that BlastAsia was a place where I wanted to build my career.
- Google Labs - I was rejected by them after interviews. It's either they didn't have a position for me or (more likely) I wasn't qualified enough.
- Matahari Studios - I turned down their offer earlier on in the process because I felt that the game development industry in the Philippines wasn't mature enough. Also, I simply didn't feel like taking another game development job.
- Microsoft Philippines - I guess my application was eternally in limbo; never got to the interviews.
- Navitaire - Still don't know why I was rejected.
- Orange & Bronze - I have nothing but the greatest respect for these guys in their mantra of "Software engineering done right." I think they will do well in the future and will make a name for themselves. However, I was a bit apprehensive about working for another smal; startup.
- Pointwest Technologies - A solid offer similar to BlastAsia's, but there was nothing that set them apart from the other software companies offering me a job.
- Smart Communications - Smart came a close second. Good compensation package with lots of benefits and they offered a challenging position where I was sure to learn a lot. However, one of my short-term goal was to get exposure in software engineering and an R&D position at Smart couldn't really offer much of that.
- stag - Type 2. Jojo referred me to them. I got an offer right away but it wasn't particularly enticing.
- Stratpoint Technologies - For some reason, they never got back to me on that postponed offer appointment date.
- Webworks OS - Of all the software companies I interviewed with, I honestly felt that Webworks had the best setup. They worked with the latest Microsoft technologies, weren't into outsourced or consulting work, and they had a wizard of a CEO. I turned down their offer because I didn't feel like Webworks was the kind of place that I could make a name for myself on the long run.

Why did I choose HP? Take a look at the five things I wanted in my next job. HP certainly fits the bill for me (or at least it's the best available fit).
- Opportunity to learn. HP will groom you and set you up with what you need for success your position. And the great thing about it is that you have a say on what you want to be.
- Good working environment. HP has a nice, well-lit workplace, with offices in convenient locations. I have no doubt that HP is among the places with the best working conditions.
- Opportunity to work with the best people. I am not so sure about who I'll be working with; HP is a huge company after all. However, if there's one thing I really like about HP, it's that the managers are your friends and they really care for you and your career. Even one of my friends who resigned from HP after less than a year couldn't deny that fact.
- Opportunity to make an immediate impact. I don't know so much about this, but my manager has assured me that he will personally set me up for success. I expect to be working on the most challenging assignments where my skills will be really put to the test.
- Compensation package that will make me hard to say no. To be honest, I almost wanted to say no. Yes, HP laid a decent offer on the table, but the truth is that it was disappointing for me. However, after considering the additional benefits (of which there are many) and the other factors mentioned above, I accepted their offer. Besides, if I'm really as good as I think, I could just work my way to the top, right?
I signed up with them last Friday, August 26. My official job title is "ITO Support Specialist 1" simply because every recent grad starts off as that. The kind of work I'll be doing is in software development. I'll be working out of HP's office in Ortigas. I'm still in the process of completing the paperwork but I don't expect any problems with that. My first day of work is this Friday, September 1. I was given the option of starting on the 18th but I didn't want to wait that long. I'm excited about getting down to business and showing them what I've got.
Hello, working world!
Labels: employment, HP, work
Congrats! I wish you all the best in your new job. I only wish MSFT hadn't missed out on the chance to hire you. HP is a lucky company.
i guess they can now fire those 4 other new hires they got, and give their paychecks to you. heheheh...
congrats mark! i also heard good feedback from hp around here (still stuck in school. hehe).
di ako makakasama subic huhu. doc raffy got me as a technical associate (support for the judges)
Hey Mark! :) Congrats! Where in Ortigas is HP's office?
Thanks, everyone.
@lloyd: 7th and 14th (?) floor, San Miguel Properties Center. Right behind EDSA Shangri-la Hotel.
hp + you = everything is possible
hp + you = hyoup!
yeba! congrats! punzki's the man.. tama yan, don't go for the paycheck. Go for the oppurtunity to learn (but at the end of the day, you still got to eat so ayos din yung good compensation) hehe.. labo ko.
Congratulations, Punzki! And since we have such a great working relationship with HP, I expect we'll still be seeing you around!
MARK!!!! See you on friday!!! Welcome onboard!!!
Why did your friend leave HP?
Btw, you don't know me. I'm just an average pinoy lurker =)
Walang pag-asenso sa HP. Ang mga empleyado don, tuta ng HP.