The RubeTube

Life's a cube.  Solve it.


August 11, 2006
After resigning from E-Commerce Percs, here are the companies that I have applied to, in alphabetical order, along with the current status of my applications, the company's type, and a few personal notes:
  • BlastAsia - Type 2, 3. Status: Job offer received (software engineer). BlastAsia is almost purely a .NET shop. They were nice enough to give me two offers: one contractual, and the other as a regular. The environment seems nice but night shifts are not uncommon.
  • Google Labs - Type 3. Status: Rejected after interviews. Google would probably be a really nice place to work for me, but maybe I'm just not ready yet. At least I can say I was good enough to be interviewed.
  • HP Philippines - Type 2. Status: Waiting for interview schedule. HP offers specialized training and a good working environment.
  • Matahari Studios - Type 3. Status: Job offer received (game developer). Matahari Studios is a gaming company whose headquarters is in Australia. They recently opened an office here. I'm not too hot with the prospect of working as a game developer again though.
  • Microsoft Philippines - Type N/A. Status: Waiting for interview schedule. This application is not for a software developer job. Jojo Ayson told me they are looking for a full-time academic developer evangelist. Great company and an interesting career option.
  • Navitaire - Type 3. Status: Rejected after interviews. I still don't know why I was rejected. The interviewers seemed really excited to get me on board.
  • Orange & Bronze - Type 2. Status: Job offer received (software developer). Actually, it's not a formal job offer; I'm just supposed to tell them if I want to join O&B. Small start-up consulting firm specializing in Java solutions.
  • Pointwest Technologies - Type 2. Status: Waiting for job offer. Nice office and the company is not too large that you'll feel like a mere cog in the machine. CMMI Level 3.
  • Smart Communications - Type 1. Status: Waiting for job offer. This is a Type 1 job of the better kind. If I join Smart, I'll be part of their research and development team who gets first shot at new ideas and technologies. At first I thought I'd be offered a developer post, but now they just made it tougher to decide.
  • Stratpoint Technologies - Type 2. Status: In interview process. Stratpoint is currently in the process of moving to a new office. There's something a bit creepy about the fact that I was asked what my relationship status was.
  • Webworks OS - Type 3. Status: Waiting for job offer. Former internship company. One of the more "hardcore" .NET software development firms. Solid leadership and technical direction. They use only the latest Microsoft technologies and practices. Somewhat inconvenient location.
It's no joke to apply for so many companies at the same. I feel so stressed out already, and I'm not done yet. I've had 1-2 interviews/appointments per day this week. The interviews aren't the source of my stress; in fact, interview are really fun! It's the constant commuting and the long walking stretches that get to me. But still, I would rather have as many options open as possible. As Calen from Orange & Bronze told me, when you make the decision to join a company, you have to have no regrets whatsoever. I'm having trouble deciding though; I have a short-list of candidates, but I'm not leaning towards any particular company yet.

Time to rest now. Thank God (most) offices are closed on weekends.

Labels: ,

2 Responses to “Jobhunt 2006 update #1”

  1. # Blogger Calen Legaspi

    Yo, change the link to our company. It still points to our sorta-sister company. =) The new URL is http://software.orangeandbronze.com  

  2. # Blogger Patrick

    Well I think, the ADE position is a good slot for you to think that you have a prior experience evangelizing Microsoft Developer technologies. Although it highly depends if you are really considering that job on a long term basis.

    If it's a full-time position offered to you, considering the exposure you have, you might be considered for a MACH position. Good luck!  

Post a Comment

About me



Mark Punzalan
a.k.a. "Punzki"
Location: Redmond, WA
Occupation: Softie

Current tag-line:
I'm alive!
Now reading:
The Bible (really!)
Latest obsession:
NBA playoffs (via streaming)

Around the web:
punzki @ punzki.com
punzki @ Blogger
punzki @ del.icio.us
punzki @ LinkedIn
punzki @ Friendster
punzki @ Bloglines
punzki @ YouTube
punzki @ Multiply

Email me: punzki@gmail.com

Search

RSS feed



What is RSS?

AdSense


Et cetera




Locations of visitors to this page


Pinoy Top Blogs
Fantasy Sports Live!
Firefox 2

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates