August 25, 2006
(Nope, I'm not referring to myself.)
Believe it or not, this guy is a Filipino. Here's the proof. Well, he's half-Filipino, but we'll proudly claim anyone famous with even a tiny drop of Pinoy blood as one of our own (sad, but true).
Ryan Patricio's the current world record holder for solving a 3x3x3 Rubik's cube with one hand. That's the record-setting 20-second attempt in the video. Mabuhay ang mga Pinoy! More about Ryan here.
I pride myself in being an above-average Rubik's cube solver (50 seconds on average), but I'd already be in Rubik's cube nirvana if I could do 20 seconds with two hands (my current record is 30 seconds, and that was a fluke). I ought to buy a good cube online because the ones available here in the Philippines just plain suck; you can't turn a face with just one finger.
Unsurprisingly, Ryan ascribes to the Fridrich method of cube-solving, arguably the fastest method available. I don't use the Fridrich method myself, and neither do I plan to. I use a personalized version of what is simply known as the "X method". Don't try to Google for it; you'll never find it published anywhere. I just learned it in high school from a classmate, who learned it from another classmate, who learned it from... well you get the drift.
Nobody knows the origins of the X method, and it has very few living practicioners. But that's gonna change once I tell the whole world about it. I'll be detailing the X method here one day, exclusively for the RubeTube (now you understand what's with my blog's title), so that you too can do the cube the "X" way.
Anyone know of tools for creating Rubik's cube diagrams?
Believe it or not, this guy is a Filipino. Here's the proof. Well, he's half-Filipino, but we'll proudly claim anyone famous with even a tiny drop of Pinoy blood as one of our own (sad, but true).
Ryan Patricio's the current world record holder for solving a 3x3x3 Rubik's cube with one hand. That's the record-setting 20-second attempt in the video. Mabuhay ang mga Pinoy! More about Ryan here.
I pride myself in being an above-average Rubik's cube solver (50 seconds on average), but I'd already be in Rubik's cube nirvana if I could do 20 seconds with two hands (my current record is 30 seconds, and that was a fluke). I ought to buy a good cube online because the ones available here in the Philippines just plain suck; you can't turn a face with just one finger.
Unsurprisingly, Ryan ascribes to the Fridrich method of cube-solving, arguably the fastest method available. I don't use the Fridrich method myself, and neither do I plan to. I use a personalized version of what is simply known as the "X method". Don't try to Google for it; you'll never find it published anywhere. I just learned it in high school from a classmate, who learned it from another classmate, who learned it from... well you get the drift.
Nobody knows the origins of the X method, and it has very few living practicioners. But that's gonna change once I tell the whole world about it. I'll be detailing the X method here one day, exclusively for the RubeTube (now you understand what's with my blog's title), so that you too can do the cube the "X" way.
Anyone know of tools for creating Rubik's cube diagrams?
Labels: amazing, Philippines, Rubik's cube, videos
hey. i saw this featured on youtube. i must have missed from the article, but where does it say that he's (part-) filipino?
layer method ako all the way (i even got lucky this one time and managed 52s). mainly dahil tinamad na ako learning other methods. i'd like to give x another try though. if you do manage to diagram it it'll be great.
aside. pa-blogroll, kung ok lang! i've been watching your blog from time to time (even that old one last year). i'm over at LJ but someday i'll organize a blogroll for my non-LJ friends. link's in the name. thanks!
Sorry, I put the wrong link. I've fixed it now. This is the correct one: http://crosspostings.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_crosspostings_archive.html
I will definitely do a X method tutorial. Matagal ko na gusto gawin yun.
Consider yourself blogrolled. :D
alis-corner-astig balik-corner-bulok move FTW!
OMG!! ang galing... i can't even solve a face LOL
alis-corner-astig balik-corner-bulok
haha.. nakalimutan ko na to a..
@secret, @anonymous: Are you one of my X students? Or perhaps one of my X masters? Or... did one of you originally INVENT (gasp) the X method?
co-student.
invent? nah.
Drop me a line if you find out where to get nice Rubix cubes...
Btw...are you looking for students? :P
...wait >.< mali pala, 1 side lang pala natatapos ko
Just so you know, The method is called "corners first" as far as I can tell. It's how i learned, and seems to be a hell of a lot easier and faster than freidrichs method. and you can google it, it's just that every result you get is a different method using different algorythyms.
as for diagrams, look online for those javascript cubes, and you can probably just take screenshots of those. sorry bout double-posting.
wow! theres another method! tell me now!!!
wow.. hahaha. parang wala lang..