September 03, 2006
Today was my first day of driving at A-1 driving school. I've been meaning to learn how to drive as soon as I had loads of free time, and I totally blew it because now I'm already employed. It's still not too late because I can still hope to finish before the work piles up.I signed up for 15 total hours of driving (for 8,200 pesos) the previous Saturday and I attended the two-hour orientation this past Thursday. I spend my first two hours earlier this afternoon. I got started on a Toyota Altis (2005 model, I think) with manual transmission, under the guidance of my driving instructor Alfonso. My legs were a bit long for the driver's seat even if I pulled it back as far as it can go. Oh well, nothing I can do about that.
I did my driving along Doña Soledad Avenue (near SM Bicutan), in a nearby subdivision whose name I forgot, and the busy Bicutan instruction. Here are the lessons which I "passed":
- Pre-driving check-up routine, a.k.a. BLOWFATCH (tm)
- Identifying the car controls, pedals, and dashboard instruments
- Steering wheel handling (10:10) position and turning
- Observing safe following and stopping distances
- Proper way of shifting gears (only up to 2nd gear so far)
- Maintaining lanes
- Starting and stopping procedures (i.e., without killing the engine)
- Left and right turning
- Uphill/downhill driving
- U-turn
- Parking (not parallel)
I kind of blew it too and now I feel bad. :( I got my license and all but I stopped driving for about 4 years and when I tried driving again, I couldn't even get out of the driveway. Grr.
But A1 will help get your license while sparing you some paperwork; "Quality training we commit; safety on the road we... meet."
haha. 10-10. ive always known it as 10-2. well. some people say that 9-3 is actually better, just like how it is in formula 1 cars.. itll protect your hands in case of airbag deployment. i dont know how...
-troy
(argh something's wrong with blogger)
I'd go for one hand in the wheel and one hand on the stick (looks cool) - aids
Anong zero experience. Hehe. 9-3 nga rin un narinig kong bago. Much easier daw mag-steer left and right, in addition don sa maaavoid mo un airbag injury. But who cares, kung san comfortable oki n un. Hehe. :P