The RubeTube

Life's a cube.  Solve it.


April 25, 2007
Today, I became a third-rate criminal, a felon of the lowest degree, barely a menace to society, charged with the least of all evils known to man: (click for a better view)


Ah, my first traffic violation. I unwittingly went straight in the counterflow lane at the intersection of Julia Vargas and San Miguel Avenue, unaware that it was a left-turn only lane despite all the blaring signs along the road. Never mind that every day, hundreds of cars commit the same traffic violation. (When I was pulled over, I was quick to point out to the officer the car that was following behind me, which then got promptly pulled over as well. A miniscule victory, but a victory nonetheless.)

When I told my officemates about my experience, the usual reaction was, "Why didn't you just run away or pay the guy off?" To which I replied in the most self-righteous tone I could muster, "I want to be a part of the solution, not the problem." Besides, if I did something reckless, my 250-peso fine could easily turn into a 250,000-peso disaster.

Tomorrow, I shall go out and (literally) pay my debt to society. And get my license back. To be honest, I'm not mad at the world or even at the officer who gave the ticket. On the contrary, I'm excited to experience something new... even if it involves long lines and idiotic bureaucracy.

Labels: ,

2 Responses to “Criminal neophyte”

  1. # Blogger Ambo

    Your license may not yet be at the MMDA Mandaluyong office, since the MMDA traffic officers are given a few days to forward licenses to the MMDA office. Good luck - you will need all the luck you can get, since you can easily lose 1/2 day to 1 whole day, just trying to get your license back.

    When a traffic officer pulls me to the side of the road for a traffic offense or non-offense, I usually tell the officer, "Sorry, kasalanan ko po. Puwede po bang patawarin niyo na lang ang isang senior citizen?". Then I show him my thinning gray hair, and my senior citizen card. It usually works, and the traffic officer forgives my offense/non-offense.  

  2. # Blogger punzki

    @Doc: Unfortunately, I can't use the same strategy as yours. I don't have your charm. ;)

    I just got my license back today! It took 10 minutes. The Mandaluyong Traffic and Parking Management office was very efficient.  

Post a Comment

About me



Mark Punzalan
a.k.a. "Punzki"
Location: Redmond, WA
Occupation: Softie

Current tag-line:
I'm alive!
Now reading:
The Bible (really!)
Latest obsession:
NBA playoffs (via streaming)

Around the web:
punzki @ punzki.com
punzki @ Blogger
punzki @ del.icio.us
punzki @ LinkedIn
punzki @ Friendster
punzki @ Bloglines
punzki @ YouTube
punzki @ Multiply

Email me: punzki@gmail.com

Search

RSS feed



What is RSS?

AdSense


Et cetera




Locations of visitors to this page


Pinoy Top Blogs
Fantasy Sports Live!
Firefox 2

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates